My box

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
nutxo

My box

Post by nutxo »

I recently bought an SSA Dcon 10 and was all set to build a box when I discovered many of my tools walked away with my oldest son last time he stayed at home I guess. While I was gathering tools to build the box I found an ad on CL. Some guy building custom boxes. I gotta say his stuff looked really freakin good even uncarpeted. He posted up soem really nice pics.

When I finally started my box it was just a huge pain in the ass with all the 45s and crap so I shot the guy an email that led to a phone call and an agreement very favorable to both of us I think. I sent him my box plans and we agreed to meet the next day to square up. He sent me pics of every step. Its pretty embarrassing to have to say someone else built my box for me but it was a great deal and I couldn't be happier with the thing.

If anyone in the Seattle/ Tacoma area needs to have a box built Id highly recommend this guy. His email is [email protected]

PS. I still haven't decided what I'm gonna cover it with or paint it with.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Re: My box

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

Dont beat your self up over the fact you went elsewhere to get your box done, time constraints, pain in the ass 45's, can lead a skilled man to hand the ball over.......so saying that, Id like too say that this dude you found looks like he knows what hes doing and then some...that box is built like a tank and has the science to back it up.... I feel like going for a three hour drive to hear this bitch :twisted: Ive heard Stipuds in a very small sealed in MY ride off my M50 and 25 VERY NICE SOUNDING SUB, and Im a sucker for properly tuned ported boxes, and built :mrgreen: GREAT BUILD AND SUB!!!! How much power you runnin it on???
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

That's a proper box. Well worth the money.

I have to buy mine too, because all I've got is a jigsaw. At least you got it done right instead of putting it in a prefab.
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

He's a great guy too. We talked for like a half an hour before my son went to sleep in the van and i had to leave. Very personable.
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

oldskoolmseriesfan wrote:Dont beat your self up over the fact you went elsewhere to get your box done, time constraints, pain in the ass 45's, can lead a skilled man to hand the ball over.......so saying that, Id like too say that this dude you found looks like he knows what hes doing and then some...that box is built like a tank and has the science to back it up.... I feel like going for a three hour drive to hear this bitch :twisted: Ive heard Stipuds in a very small sealed in MY ride off my M50 and 25 VERY NICE SOUNDING SUB, and Im a sucker for properly tuned ported boxes, and built :mrgreen: GREAT BUILD AND SUB!!!! How much power you runnin it on???

I don't exactly know. Its running 8ohms bridged on an xs2500. Id think 250ish. The plan was to run the xs2500 at 2ohms but a ton of people told me not to. Id rather have it on 500 but I seem to be unable to find the amp I want at the price I can pay right now :-p
eulogious
"Loogie"

Post by eulogious »

nutxo wrote:
oldskoolmseriesfan wrote:Dont beat your self up over the fact you went elsewhere to get your box done, time constraints, pain in the ass 45's, can lead a skilled man to hand the ball over.......so saying that, Id like too say that this dude you found looks like he knows what hes doing and then some...that box is built like a tank and has the science to back it up.... I feel like going for a three hour drive to hear this bitch :twisted: Ive heard Stipuds in a very small sealed in MY ride off my M50 and 25 VERY NICE SOUNDING SUB, and Im a sucker for properly tuned ported boxes, and built :mrgreen: GREAT BUILD AND SUB!!!! How much power you runnin it on???

I don't exactly know. Its running 8ohms bridged on an xs2500. Id think 250ish. The plan was to run the xs2500 at 2ohms but a ton of people told me not to. Id rather have it on 500 but I seem to be unable to find the amp I want at the price I can pay right now :-p
The xs2500 @2ohms isn't that bad. Just keep it cool. I ran one @2ohms for several months no problems. Granted I had a couple of fans cooling it and it did run hot, but I think I rarely thermaled it, and that was listening to it for 1.5 hours at full bore on a road trip. Sold it still working! But ya, everyone told me not to as well :lol:

That box looks damn good, so it looks like you did good on that one. One thing I have learned in my few years here on earth is that there is always someone smarted and more talented than me, and you must learn when to give it up to those guys. Sometimes other people can just do it better.

And I agree with everyone else that this guy seems to really know his stuff, so good find. I will keep that email around!
KDC x869
MB Quart RVF-216 6.5
SLD44
white zx450v2
white zx500
white BassCUBE
RSdC124
ZP Fuse Distro
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

It's a good looking box but why would you want the wires to exit through the port???
What did you pay? Any good carpenter can do a good to great box with the plans handed to them.
Were any screws used at all? I realize they are not the major anchor like the glue is but I like to use both.
just wondering is all.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

Stryker wrote:It's a good looking box but why would you want the wires to exit through the port???
What did you pay? Any good carpenter can do a good to great box with the plans handed to them.
Were any screws used at all? I realize they are not the major anchor like the glue is but I like to use both.
just wondering is all.

The shop I used to get binding posts from has been sold and the new owner only sells cheapo terminal cups and they all seem to have thin plastic ones around here. This is a good temp way to run it without drilling any holes till I get a set of posts .

What I paid might not be what you pay. The guy like cash but we had a bunch of barter going on as well. I had already bought all my mats he quoted me 50 with my mats. The he emails me and says " How about I build the box tonight and you can drop off the mats and pick up the box tomorrow. " That worked out great for me.

I talked to the guy for like 30 minutes. There's very little doubt in my mind he can design a box. He stated he uses winisd, 12volt and bcae. He was also concerned I may have purchased the box plans and told me if i ever needed help ask him, don't pay. I used to build everyone's boxes in the early 90s. I'm fairly confident after talking to the guy for a while he could design a box.

There are no screws. Looks like brads to hold things in place until he could get clamps on and the glue dried. I have little doubt if I had wanted screws he would have used screws. Myself
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

stipud wrote:That's a proper box. Well worth the money.

I have to buy mine too, because all I've got is a jigsaw. At least you got it done right instead of putting it in a prefab.
I built a 3 cube ported box once using jisaw. I screwed down a factory edge off a sheet of plywood as a guide for all the long cuts :-p It turned out amazing.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

50 bux :shock: thats a wicked price. :clap: wish he lived close to me......
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

Good clamping, nailer in the background, proper wood glue, and clean cuts, Id say the guy knew a little bit about what he was doing. ;)

I build boxes for a living, and there is nothing wrong with paying to have something done you know you could do yourself. The right tools can make box building a breeze, and not everyone has the money/space to buy a good saw. Jig saw cuts, even with a guide, are rarely straight. The cut may be in a straight line, but the actual cut will rarely be a perfect 90* cut, and when joining these pieces you dont get a solid joint. Not to mention by the time you measure twice, line up the guide, remeasure, and go for the cut, with a good table saw you could have made 4 or 5 cuts in the same amount of time

Take pride in the box you had made, its solid & well crafted and you got a great deal on it. Take a little credit for its design, and later on its look after you finish its exterior.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

nothing wrong with brads/glue when he is clamping them like he is. $50 is a good deal on both ends as it was an hour of his time9hour and a half because of the camera) and when you finally get all the tools it is no big deal.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
ludeboost98

Post by ludeboost98 »

Lots of math in that box !! Well built ! What is your port tuned to ?
1x MS1000TA
1x MS2250 schrouded
1X MPS2500
1x MAC500 (MS2125 plate)
1x ZPA0.5 Black
1x ZX950 Black
1x Titanium 1200.1Ti
1x Titanium 600.2Ti
1x Titanuim 500.4Ti
1x EQ15x
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

ludeboost98 wrote:Lots of math in that box !! Well built ! What is your port tuned to ?
30hz