Technical Question about "Slew Rate"...

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Lowcountrypsulion

Technical Question about "Slew Rate"...

Post by Lowcountrypsulion »

Hey everybody. I recently read an Ebay listing for an old Alpine "Juba" amp that was describing the sound quality by pointing out a fast "slew rate".

What is "slew rate" and how would you describe the slew rate of the old-school PG amps, specifically the M or MS series?

Thanks
Ride: 1999 Honda Civic Si (Blue; complete, unmodified B16A2)
Source A: Alpine CDA 9884
Source B: Alpine CHA S604 (Circa 1997)
Line Driver: PG PLD-1
Equalizer: PG EQ215
Crossover A: PG AX406A w/LPL44
Crossover B: PG AX204A
Amplifier A: PG M44
Amplifier B: PG M25 Series II
Front Stage: MB Quart QSD 216 6 1/2" Q-Series Comps (the real German deal; not Maxxsonics)
Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate Punch 12
Install: http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19590
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Technical Question about "Slew Rate"...

Post by ttocs »

slew rate - wow back to the tech school days lets see if I can recall.... To make it easy, its how fast it can change direction on the signal and is measured by the change in the voltage/change in time. These are normally used to describe how accurate a signal generator on a square wave or some other quick changing signal. It really doesn't apply much in an audio amplifier because if the slew rate was that bad then it would make it sound bad by not accuratly reproducing the input signal.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Lowcountrypsulion

Thanks, ttocs! I appreciate the explanation. I was suspicious of that selling angle because I looked in the M44 manual and saw nothing about slew rate.
Front Stage: MB Quart QSD 216 6 1/2" Q-Series Comps (the real German deal; not Maxxsonics)
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

remember wow and flutter in the old tape decks
Phoenix Gold,Don't Leave Home Without It !!!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

pretty sure it was nothing more then some snake oil that alpine put in their amps that year to help them sell.
Mr. Wild

Post by Mr. Wild »

PG boasts using fast 25MHz devices in their manuals, which boils down to the same thing as high slew rate.
Using fast devices reduces TIM distortion because a typical output stage uses large amounts of feedback. Even though an audio amplifier is used to output only low frequencies in the kilohertz range, it must be able to handle much higher frequencies internally (megahertz range) for the feedback to work without creating too much distortion.

Dr Matti Otala from Finland discovered and resolved Transient Intermodulation Distortion and designed the famous Harman Kardon Citation XX amp.

May this be the reason or not, I think the best bit sonically about PG amps is the beautifully clear highs they reproduce like hi-hat and cymbals and shit .
--
M50, MS275, MPS2500, ZX450, ZPA0.3
Lowcountrypsulion

Mr. Wild, thanks for the detailed explanation and additional information. I appreciate it!

Here is a link to the Ebay listing in case anyone is curious about the "slew rate" sales pitch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpine-3545-Leg ... 138wt_1068
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

not sure about the sq but I know that those old alpines never seem to die. Its amazing how many of them are still being used and half of them come in looking like they survived some old missle tests but always seem to work....
shawn k

Post by shawn k »

Mr. Wild wrote:PG boasts using fast 25MHz devices in their manuals, which boils down to the same thing as high slew rate.
Using fast devices reduces TIM distortion because a typical output stage uses large amounts of feedback. Even though an audio amplifier is used to output only low frequencies in the kilohertz range, it must be able to handle much higher frequencies internally (megahertz range) for the feedback to work without creating too much distortion.

Dr Matti Otala from Finland discovered and resolved Transient Intermodulation Distortion and designed the famous Harman Kardon Citation XX amp.

May this be the reason or not, I think the best bit sonically about PG amps is the beautifully clear highs they reproduce like hi-hat and cymbals and shit .
That's a pretty good explanation right there!

In addition, here are a couple of things to keep in mind when talking about "slew rate": I wouldn't go as far as saying slew rate is not important. Adequate slew rate is essential for undistorted high frequency as well as high transient response. Granted as frequency drops slew rate becomes less important, but if the intent is to use the amp at all for high freq. reproduction then it's something that at least should be considered! Now it's something that perhaps one shouldn't necessarily lose sleep over, but a high slew rate is at least one clue of how well the amplifier is designed (mainly the feedback circuit). Actually, when talking about class A & AB (full bandwidth) amps, the slew rate is more important than damping factor! Zeff has stated multiple times that he prefers a high slew rate over a high damping factor whenever he designs an amp :wink:

Also keep in mind that the more power an amplifier can produce, the higher the slew rate needs to be since the voltage swings will be larger. Good slew rate can range anywhere from 5v/us up to 500v/us, but you should only compare slew rate with amplifiers of approximately the same power to get an idea of what's good.
AKA "THE HATER"
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I was not trying to say that it was not important, it is just basically assumed that any amp worth its weight would have a good slew rate. The idea of an amp is to reproduce an amplified signal accurately and if it had a horrible slew rate it would not be able to do this very well.