Where have all the nice head units gone?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Where have all the nice head units gone?

Post by Eric D »

Does anyone make a modern head unit worth anything? I just found myself in the market for a new head unit, and I looked at all the brands I thought were worth anything (Kenwood eXcelon, Clarion, Alpine), and none of them have anything worth while.

I remember years back were every new generation had better features, better sound quality aspects, and better quality displays. To me the display is half the battle, as it can be hard to see with glare from the sun, or off axis to the display, etc.

Well, it seems all the major manufacturers now sell $250 top of the line units, and they all look to have a junk display, plus no mention of anything related to the units sound quality features, only countless ramblings about iPod and iPhone integration.

So, how many years back do I need to go to find a nice unit?

In my truck I have a Kenwood KDC-X889, and I really like it. Once all the onboard crap is disabled, it has a very clean output with high voltage. However, there has to be something better between 2004 or so and now.

I have an old Clarion DRX-6375, and a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X911. I am thinking I should never get rid of these units, as there will probably never be anything like either of them again? Hell, the KDC-X911 set me back something like $599 back in 1997 or so if I remember right. Then with the changer for it, I almost broke $1000 total.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Where have all the nice head units gone?

Post by ttocs »

I felt the same way years ago when I settled for the 9887. has the ability to do fully active system from the deck and also has the audusey imprint piece that can be used. I think it does the older ipods, no mp3 and the display is pretty nice but not over the top.

I wish they would come back out with a super nice copper-chassis amp again but with the price of copper today I would be afraid to see the price.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
todd217

Post by todd217 »

i have been looking at replacing my alpine 9887 with the pioneer deh 80prs when it comes out next month.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... /DEH-80PRS
davewaibel

Post by davewaibel »

your going to have to go back to 05-07 to find a nice head unit- drz9255, the p9 pioneer, or the mcintosh 406- everything now has convenience and features galore-but nothing exceptional-
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

last highend unit i had was a clarrion 955mc but this was 95=96 after that played with pioneer 80mp did not like it hated the contols
sad....
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
shawn k

Post by shawn k »

Unfortunately it's really a matter of demand...With the "ipod" craze going on, it's hard to blame these manufacturers for not necessarily producing pricey head units when the demand for them is a fraction of what it once was :(

However, IMO there's still a good selection out there...

Pioneer Stage 4... dex P99rs (current model)
Clarion DRZ9255
Alpine DVA-9965
Denon Z1, R1 etc...
Rockford 8250 (Denon built)
Mac MX406 & MX5000

Well... that might be just about it...lol
AKA "THE HATER"
Lance_S

Post by Lance_S »

Yeah, unfortunately they want a grand for the p99. I went old school (9887), well, that is relative. It's not old school, old school but you know what I mean. The Pioneer 880 is solid as is the CD7200. Probably the CD7200 is one of the best out there. Strong outs, copper chassis, etc. Problem is there isn't much support any more for the CD7200. The DRZ is also a great old head unit. The 9887 is decent but it needs an automatic face and it has a high noise floor. But your right, the modern head units are incredibly cheap. There are very few dead heads any more, none that are really built with SQ in mind, not like it used to be, that's for sure.

At least the 9887 does have some ipod capability with the older ipods. You can stuff them full of lossless and at least have decent audio. But the reality is you still bypass the 24 bit burr brown dac's and that is what makes the 9887 solid so I am still listening to CD's through it and don't use the ipod jack.

If I were to switch it out I would go with the CD7200. The face isn't as good as the 9887, it's small and you can't see it in the light but the sq is second to none. Maybe someday. But the 9887 is cheap, you can pick them up for under $200.00 in good condition which makes buying a p99 tough for a small gain in performance. I would spend the 800 elsewhere.
shawn k

Post by shawn k »

Lance_S wrote: But the 9887 is cheap, you can pick them up for under $200.00 in good condition which makes buying a p99 tough for a small gain in performance. I would spend the 800 elsewhere.
:?

The P99 sports Quad 24bit DACS.... independant left/right 31 band eq's.... FOURway crossover....custom made high grade components.... etc.

Not trying to slam the 9887 as I do believe it's a nice source for the dough, but I certainly wouldn't claim the P99 to be a "small gain in performance". IMO the P99 is "easily" worth the extra 7-8 bills over the Alpine, and is realistically a great deal compared to what you would have spent for this type of quality and processing power less than a decade ago. Or even when comparing it to what other companies have had to offer!
AKA "THE HATER"
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

the 9887 did have the imprint option though, not sure how many bands it worked on though but the fact that you can tweek the curve once it is stored sucks.
davewaibel

Post by davewaibel »

imprint- the phone sex of audio
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

not sure what that means, gay or straight?

I used it mainly just to measure and correct for the time alignment. The eq curve was not bad sounding although that is why one of the reasons I got my eq215ix.
davewaibel

Post by davewaibel »

what it means is.... imprint gets the job done, but after all the building and jabbering about this and that, staging, blah,blah, its basically an electronic 'hand job' finish to the system of your dreams- I get why they made it, as most shops don't even have a rta any more, and if they do, most customers probably won't like the sound of a properly tuned car- your lucky if you can even get your gains set correctly in the majority of shops any more, let alone, any meaningful equalization- in that regard, imprint filled a void- and if I had a deck and 4, maybe imprint makes the most sense, since just trying to find your way through the mega menu's of modern decks are kind of a pain in the ass, to hop around on- but as you admitted you did it, and you have an eq to take care of what it didn't do- I personally have an issue with electronic delay, and some of the other things that imprint does, maybe if I had a monster vehicle like an H1 hummer delay could actually be used- but the distance from speaker to ear doesnt warrant, yet another piece of digital processing to get involved to muddle up things- right or wrong, its just my opinion
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have loved the time alignment option on the alpines since they came out and love the difference it makes. Its small but on a well-planned system it really helps to set up the soundstage imo. An EQ is an EQ is an EQ and no two people would set them the same to what they thought sounded the best so that option was not as important, again because of the 215.

I see what ya mean.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

That DEH-80PRS looks very promising.

I am not necessarily looking for an "audiophile" unit like a DRZ9255, just a good unit near the top of a lineup, which is not junk.

Having the ability to play MP3s is a great feature, but adding 24-bit Burr Brown ICs is even better. If I can listen to the same old stuff on my commute to work every day, but then sit out in my vehicle with a good CD and enjoy the system now and then, that would be the winning combination for me.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

The Pioneer PRS decks have all been solid performers. Exceptional processing power for a sub $500 head unit. Great 16 band equalization and countless 3-way and 4-way filter options. Both the EQ and the filters offer left/right independent control. Just as important as what specs and features they can claim, is that Pioneer was sensible enough to leave out the fluff. They wrapped up the package nicely with a no-nonsense display and a elegant look, in contrast to most of the market. After my experience with PRS equipment in general I have no problem recommending it whatsoever. I haven't played with one yet, but the DEH-80PRS seems to be the latest iteration of that design.

I'm still using my DEH-P880PRS that I got about 5 years ago or so and it's been great, although recently the Stage 4 head unit has been tempting me. The DEX-P99RS is sweet, but really belongs in the next tier for comparison purposes. It's a true flagship performer, comparable to the legends that make up shawns' list. One of the things I like best about it though is the USB input. It is unique among it's classic peers due to this simple connection to modern day! I know it may sound blasphemous to some of the purists out there, but I'm gonna plug my ipod or iphone into my damn radio...and it's gonna sound BEAUTIFUL!! :lol: iFi rebellion.

Unfortunately, despite all the bells and whistles manufacturers have managed to pack into car radios over the last few decades, a display that performs well in direct sunlight seems to elude them! Seriously, for some reason the aftermarket can't even seen to keep up with the OEM's display capability when it comes to this important factor!
Last edited by dedlyjedly on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bassman

Post by bassman »

I am doing my bug with an Ipad in the dash, I will run it into my alpine and see no other way after what the ipad does.

My friend and I were looking for a new car that even has a din size opening and so far nothing, good thing we love fibreglass.
bassman

Post by bassman »

sorry about the quality
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

with talk of an ipad how would we expect pics of any quality? :)
bassman

Post by bassman »

ttocs wrote:with talk of an ipad how would we expect pics of any quality? :)
why would you say this?
wash with gasoline

Post by wash with gasoline »

I have been happy with the alpine cda-117 I have been using it for a few months now http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cda-117/default
burr-brown dac
Ipod control
3 sets 4 volt pre outs
plays mp3/wma/aac
Rear usb input
Large display

You can get them for around $300

It does not have built in blue tooth, not a issue for me. I have a $10 adapter cable to turn the changer input to a aux input, for when the girlfriend wants to listen to her smart phone in the car (love the sound of lossy mp3 pop music...)

From the reviews i read people complain about the display putting out a whine noise. I have not noticed it, and that stuff usually drives me nuts.
People complain about it taking forever to bank the memory cards when you plug them in to usb. It does take forever, but it starts playing the last file you were listening to when you unplugged it while it is banking it again. Not a big issue unless you are a chronic music changer and cant listen to a full song when you first plug in the memory cards.

I am also excited about the pioneer deh-80prs http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... /DEH-80PRS
I will be buying one when they are released, i just couldn't wait that long for a new deck so i picked up the alpine.
dry with match
Shinju

Post by Shinju »

CDA-117 is the last good single DIN Alpine. If the deal falls though for the NIB Pionner P9 combo the CDA-117 is my fall back.

I have ran nothing but Alpine for quite awhile everything from the 7990 to the 9855 (I just sold) for now I am running a CDA-9830 till I figure out the HU I will compete with this year.

Hu's have taken a dive it seems like most big audio companies really want to push double din units so they make the single dins with out any PQ/EQ or TA options.
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

I regret selling my pioneerr 880 prs some years back... I have been looking at some new decks aswell, and nothing sparks my eye really. Most look to flashy, or are missing some features..
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

todd217 wrote:i have been looking at replacing my alpine 9887 with the pioneer deh 80prs when it comes out next month.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... /DEH-80PRS

This looks like a good option. I was wondering when pioneer was going to make another 880/800 prs replacement. This deck looks solid. Will probably be 300ish once it hits some online stores. Call me crazy, but I will be using the usb function alot. I am able to get some pretty good quality music, and it comes in handy not having to carry cds, so I just put everything on usb sticks. I hate apple products, so ipod integration is irrelevant. This is probably my next deck..
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

there is a bit of humor/irony in all this talk of what is a good SQ deck to run mp3s on it.
STROKD

Post by STROKD »

I absolutely despise MP3s, as they have ruined the over all industry. Even Best Buy which I'd go to look for cd's for hours has like one row now... Shit seriously pisses me off. To that extent SACD, MFSL, DVD-A are all dead because everyone is MP3 deaf and/or can't afford a decent enough system to give a damn. :roll:

That said I'd look for a nice DRZ9255 and call it a day. Never been a fan of Pioneer anything audio, just liked their Kuro TVs for the 3 years they made em.
FAS#73 & AX406A#73/Frank'd EQ230
BNIB MS2250 w/ shroud, 2 MS2250TAs, MS275, MQ430
2 Ti1200.1s, 2 ZX475Tis, Ti500.4, DD10, 6 Powercores
5 Orion 2100, 1 250 - HCCA Digital Ref. v2
6 Alpine 3558 Class A's - for sale
Alpine DigiMax system complete for sale