Impressed ...

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ludeboost98

Impressed ...

Post by ludeboost98 »

So recently I installed my Focal components and was powering them off my zx950 . I was running active off my ms-8 with each speaker dedicated to it own channel .

I got bored ...

So , to tinker a bit I removed my tweeters and mids from the 450 side and the midbass' from the 500 side and reversed them . I decided to run passive for the mid/tweet from the 500 , and the midbass bridged stereo of the 450

Night and day difference ! Wow it's amazing what a little power can do . I was originally impressed with the sound off of the original config , but now the components really woke up . Yea I know it makes sense but I just figured I'd share .

My plan all along is to replace my zx950 with my ms1000ta and Mac 500 and go back to a fully active setup but for now this is new fun .
1x MS1000TA
1x MS2250 schrouded
1X MPS2500
1x MAC500 (MS2125 plate)
1x ZPA0.5 Black
1x ZX950 Black
1x Titanium 1200.1Ti
1x Titanium 600.2Ti
1x Titanuim 500.4Ti
1x EQ15x
Lowcountrypsulion

Re: Impressed ...

Post by Lowcountrypsulion »

Hey Ludeboost98. I am in a similar situation with my M44, AX406A, and MB Quart QSD 216 Q-Series 6 1/2" comps.

I am currently using a dedicated channel of the M44 for each tweeter and mid. In other words, each front channel powers a tweeter and each rear channel powers a mid. I am also using the beautiful and beefy passives that came with the Quart set.

I experienced the same type of surprise when I wired it this way because in my previous installation I was using each front channel of the M44 to power both a mid and tweeter (through a passive) from an older, lesser set of 5 1/4" Quarts. As soon as gave each speaker its own channel (through the passive), it just sounded a whole lot better.

Now I am considering removing the passives in favor of the 3-way capability of the AX406A. I just don't which will do a better job, primarily because the passives that come with the QSD 216 set are so nice.
Ride: 1999 Honda Civic Si (Blue; complete, unmodified B16A2)
Source A: Alpine CDA 9884
Source B: Alpine CHA S604 (Circa 1997)
Line Driver: PG PLD-1
Equalizer: PG EQ215
Crossover A: PG AX406A w/LPL44
Crossover B: PG AX204A
Amplifier A: PG M44
Amplifier B: PG M25 Series II
Front Stage: MB Quart QSD 216 6 1/2" Q-Series Comps (the real German deal; not Maxxsonics)
Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate Punch 12
Install: http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19590
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Impressed ...

Post by ttocs »

active is fun to play with but with good speakers they have been designed and tested to work optimumly with the x-over and why I would use it. I am using it on my Ti elite system I am running. Now I did bi-amp my hex 3ways which meant the woofers were on one channel and the tweeter/mid on the other and thought the extra power opened it up alot.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.