need help wiring m44

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
sprung

need help wiring m44

Post by sprung »

I just broke out my old m44 out of the closet for a install in my new Challenger RT .But just not sure how to wire everything up properly to get optimal power . I know its capable of running the whole system,just not sure how to wire up the rear channel and sub together and use the bass knob with out blowing the rear speakers . I think that would be a problem if I ran the rear channel in tri_linear mode ,ie mixed mono .I'm running up front a pair of 6 1/2" coaxils Rockford &3"Rockford .and 6x9 Rockford in rear and 2 JL wov3 for subs .what would be my best option .
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: need help wiring m44

Post by ttocs »

be happy to help, but first I/we would need to ask if you have had the caps swapped out yet? They tend to leak after 10-15 yrs and can cause a short and blow your amp up(literally).
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

ttocs wrote:be happy to help, but first I/we would need to ask if you have had the caps swapped out yet? They tend to leak after 10-15 yrs and can cause a short and blow your amp up(literally).
x 2......

after that, don't use the 6X9 until you have a second amp. tri amp mode is useless here.

use the front speakers on the front, and the sub on the rear. u can use a lpl44 for bass volume control......
sprung

Post by sprung »

No I havent had them replaced . have heard about replaceing them but not sure how to go about that . I have quite a few other phoenix amps , that I plan on using in my other car , if this is a important detail that I need to adress then I need to get it done.or is there a way of me checkng them my self .or changing them myself .im pretty good with a soldering iron .
sprung

Post by sprung »

You say wait for another amp to hook up the 6x9 .why? Years ago in my mini truckin days I had this m44 running my whole truck consisting of ,4 6 1/2 ,2 5 1/4 ,4 tweeters and 4 12s and didnt use the lpl and it rocked I just dont remember how I wired it .and this is alot smaller than what I had before
Lowcountrypsulion

Post by Lowcountrypsulion »

Sprung,

Good morning. I am currently using an M44 and an M25 in my system, and I have a friendly suggestion for you. But first I'll describe my setup:

I am using an original, old-school MB Quart QSD 216 set for my front stage, stock 6x9's for rear fill, and one Punch 12 sub. The signal originates from the front channel RCA outputs of the Alpine and goes back to the EQ215, then to the AX406A which splits the two-channel, left/right signal into four channels - high pass and low pass - out to the M44 and M25 respectively.

The front channels of the M44 are powering the Quart tweeters; the rear channels of the M44 are powering the Quart 6 1/2's; the M25 is bridged to the sub; and the stock 6X9's are hooked up to the rear speaker outputs of the head unit.

And that's my trick/suggestion for you:

- Hook up your 6x9's to the rear speaker outputs of your head unit

That way you can fade out the rear fill speakers independently of the main system. After all, the most important speakers, depending upon your perspective, are the front stage speakers. Consequently, the rear speakers don't need much power. In other words, the head unit should provide enough juice to power the faint, faded-out rear fill RF 6x9's.

The setup I described above has several advantages: First, it negates the need for a second amp. Second, it enables you to use your LPL44 on the rear channels of the M44 (assuming you're bridging them to the sub), Finally, it enables you to effectively use the active crossover functions of the M44 by avoiding the tri-linear output situation.

Here's my install: http://www.phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19590

Have a good one! :)
Ride: 1999 Honda Civic Si (Blue; complete, unmodified B16A2)
Source A: Alpine CDA 9884
Source B: Alpine CHA S604 (Circa 1997)
Line Driver: PG PLD-1
Equalizer: PG EQ215
Crossover A: PG AX406A w/LPL44
Crossover B: PG AX204A
Amplifier A: PG M44
Amplifier B: PG M25 Series II
Front Stage: MB Quart QSD 216 6 1/2" Q-Series Comps (the real German deal; not Maxxsonics)
Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate Punch 12
Install: http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19590